Are you interested in upgrading your car speakers, but have no knowledge of even the basics? There are thousands of different makes and models out there, which can make finding the best ones for you a pretty difficult task. To help, here are some basic things to factor in when commencing your journey to obtaining some rockin’ new car speakers!
Factors When Shopping for Car Speakers
The Types of Speakers
There are two main categories of car speakers to select from. Getting the one that best fits your needs could save money and provide quality sound you are looking for:
- Component – Component speaker systems are designed to deliver the best possible quality of sound. Their components are separated so that they can be moved around within the vehicle. These are higher priced and are more suited for those looking for an advanced car speaker system.
- Full-Range – These are an all-in-one system. They are the simplest to install, generally less money, and can produce any range of sounds. These car speakers are best suited for those who are simply looking to replace their factory car speakers. A nice set will produce quality sound, but are not as customizable as component speaker systems.
Sound Quality of the Car Speakers
The point of speaker systems is to produce sounds. When doing research, there are a few things that buyers can look for to determine the quality of sound the speakers will produce. The first thing to check on is the frequency range. Stereo systems have certain frequency ranges. The wider the range is, the more sounds the speakers are capable of reproducing. Usually the top frequency that car speakers will have is 20,000 hertz, and the lowest is 10 hertz. Having the entire range in order to get good sound quality isn’t necessary.
You also should consider the sensitivity rating. The sensitivity does not necessarily affect the sound directly, however, it controls how much sounds the speakers can create using the power supplied to them. If a vehicle has a low-powered stereo, then the best choice is to get a system with a high sensitivity rating. If the stereo is high-powered, then the speaker system can have a lower sensitivity rating.
Car Speaker Materials
The materials that the speaker components are made from have a significant effect on the sound quality as well as the lifespan of the system parts:
- Treble Speaker – Usually made with soft materials such as textile blends, silk, or polyurethane. The soft materials help produce a warm sound. However, harder materials such as metal, ceramics, or graphite will make the sound pop with higher tones.
- Surround Materials – The surround is the casing around the woofer. It has to withstand heat and humidity. The best performing material is rubber, but foam and cloth surrounds are less expensive and still work well.
- Subwoofer – To produce the bass sounds, the subwoofer needs to be built with a lightweight, stiff material. Polypropylene is a popular material because it produces accurate bass sounds. Other materials may be used as well such as woven fabrics.
Extra Car Speaker Features
Car speakers can come with some additional features that some vehicle owners may be interested in to enhance their audio experience.
- Detachable Treble Speakers – These can be installed in full-range or component car speaker systems. They can come in handy when it comes time to switch vehicles because you wont have to buy new ones.
- External Crossovers – These are seen in some full-range systems. The feature separates the frequencies that are sent to the subwoofer and the treble so that they don’t try to produce the frequencies that they can’t. The result is a cleaner, better sound quality.
- Pivoting Treble Speakers – These car speakers are good for when they have to be installed in an awkward place like low in the door. The pivoting car speakers can be aimed towards the listener’s direction.
Cost of Speaker Systems
The price of car speakers has a huge range. Simple replacement car speakers can be very affordable, while the high-tech, high-performance systems can cost as much as a used vehicle or even more! You should determine your budget before beginning to shop around. That way, you’ll be able to find the car speakers with the best capabilities within that price range.
Unfortunately, car speaker systems will not raise the value by much, so your purchase should be solely for your own enjoyment. Pretty much the only instance where the value may go up is in an older vehicle. However, the speakers are more likely to make the car more desirable if you decide to sell it. Manufacturers have lately been producing vehicles that come stock with better car speakers.
AutoWorks offers top quality car speakers and car speaker installation services as well as window tinting services, backup camera installation services, and other car audio & electronic services to towns in the Monmouth County area. They serve towns including Middletown, Red Bank, Oceanport, Rumson, Little Silver, Marlboro, Freehold, Dayton, Aberdeen, Manalapan, Point Pleasant, Millstone Township, Long Branch, Spring Lake, Holmdel, Shrewsbury, West Long Branch, Fair Haven, and many more. To learn more about our car subwoofer installation services and other services contact us today at 732-671-0225 or visit the website.