The luxury of stepping into a pre-warmed car during the icy grip of winter or a pre-cooled car in the scorching heat of summer is not just reserved for high-end vehicles. With the advent of remote car starters, this comfort is now available to everyone. But with so many options on the market, how do you determine which remote car starter is best for you? This article breaks down the factors to consider and provides some top recommendations.
Which Remote Car Starter is Best for You?
1. Compatibility with Your Vehicle
Not all remote starters are universal. Before purchasing, ensure that the remote starter is compatible with your vehicle’s make, model, and year. Some cars, especially newer models with advanced computer systems, may require specific starters.
2. Transmission Type
Historically, cars with manual transmissions posed challenges for remote starters due to the need for neutral positioning. However, modern systems can accommodate manual transmissions, but always check to ensure the starter you’re considering is compatible with your vehicle’s transmission.
How far away do you want to be when starting your car? Basic units might only offer a range of a few hundred feet, while more advanced units can function from over a mile away. If you’re starting your car from inside your home or office, a basic range might suffice. But if you often find yourself further away, a longer range might be necessary.
4. 2-Way vs. 1-Way Feedback
- 1-Way Systems: These are the most common and only send a signal from the remote to the car.
- 2-Way Systems: These provide feedback from the car to the remote, letting you know that the car has started. This feature is especially useful if you’re out of visual or auditory range of your vehicle.
5. Additional Features
Many modern remote car starters come with extra features that might interest you:
- Keyless Entry: Lock or unlock your car without the key.
- Security: Some systems come with built-in alarms or can be integrated into your car’s existing security system.
- Smartphone Integration: Start your car with an app on your phone, often providing additional functionality and extended range.
- Temperature Monitoring: Start the car when it reaches a certain temperature.
- Trunk Release: Open your trunk remotely.
Installation can be complex. While there are DIY kits, many prefer professional installation to ensure the system is integrated correctly, especially in modern cars with intricate electrical systems. Remember, incorrect installation can void warranties or even damage your vehicle.
7. Warranty and Brand Reputation
Go for brands with solid reputations and good warranties. A strong warranty indicates the company’s confidence in their product. Additionally, checking reviews and asking for recommendations can provide insight into which starters are reliable.
While individual needs may vary, here are three remote car starters that have consistently garnered positive feedback:
- Viper 5906V: Known for its impressive range and reliability, this 2-way system offers a mile of range, temperature monitoring, and a well-designed OLED screen on the remote. The Viper also boasts robust security features.
- Compustar CS800-S: A more affordable option, Compustar offers a good mix of basic features, including keyless entry, a 1,000-ft range, and a 4-button remote, making it a great choice for those who want functionality without breaking the bank.
- Avital 4105L: For those who desire simplicity, the Avital offers a basic 1-way system that’s straightforward and easy to use. With keyless entry and trunk release, it covers essential features without overwhelming users with too many buttons.
Choosing the right remote car starter boils down to understanding your needs and preferences. Whether you prioritize range, additional features, or just want something simple and effective, there’s an option out there for you. Always remember to consider compatibility with your vehicle and think about professional installation to ensure the best performance from your chosen system. With the right remote starter, you can enjoy the comfort and convenience of a pre-conditioned car no matter the weather.
Check Out AutoWorks for a Great Selection of High-Quality Remote Car Starters
If you are in need of professional remote car starter installation, contact AutoWorks today! AutoWorks is an authorized dealer and offers remote start systems & installation services as well as other auto electronics to towns in the Monmouth County, NJ area. AutoWorks specializes in providing the best auto services at the most affordable prices. If you would like more information concerning our auto electronics and installation services, contact us today at 732-671-0225 or visit the website.